A man who chased his dreams, overcame adversity and is giving back to the community he loves.
Chasing The American Dream
Keith is a business owner and lawyer who works with many small and medium size businesses, and local residents, to help them achieve their dreams by guiding them through complex legal issues. His experience working with some of Florida’s top law firms and his Harvard education has served West Palm Beach and our residents well.
From Humble Beginnings
Born in Wichita, Kansas and raised by a single, teenage mother, Keith was taught early on the value of hard work, service and education. These values motivated Keith to put people first and to stand up for those that don’t have a voice.
Never Gave Up
Keith was a high-achieving student at a young age and had to attend an all-white school on the other side of town for the classes he needed. Keith witnessed and fought segregation first-hand. When Keith was told he didn’t belong, he challenged the status quo and broke down barriers. Through hard work and commitment, Keith went from sleeping on a sofa until he was a teenager to being accepted into Harvard College and then Harvard Law.
Keith’s work brought him to West Palm Beach where he built his career and also dedicated his life to serving people and putting others ahead of himself. His leadership in our city on ethics, community service, government and neighborhood priorities are making a difference. As a trailblazer, he was the first black Chair of Leadership Florida, first black partner of a major WPB law firm and first black Chair of the Quantum Foundation.
A Leader For West Palm Beach
Elected in 2011 to the City Commission, Keith James has served as President of the Commission twice, a position he was elected to by his peers. Keith has been a steady hand that has overseen West Palm Beach through challenging times and to emerge as one of America’s best cities. Now, Keith is running for Mayor to use his values and experience to guide our future.
Keith and his wife Lorna reside in West Palm Beach.
WEST PALM BEACH SERVICE
- City Commissioner (2011-Present)
- City Commissioner, Past President (twice)
LOCAL, STATE AND REGIONAL LEADER
- Florida League of Cities, Member, Board of Directors
- Palm Beach County League of Cities, Immediate Past President
- Palm Beach Transportation Planning Agency, Member
- Palm Beach County Criminal Justice Commission, Member
- Grassy Waters Conservancy, Honorary Member
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
RECORD OF COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Ethics Task Force, Mayoral Appointee and Chairman
- Florida Bar’s Grievance Committee for the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit
- Quantum Foundation, former Chair
- Paragon Foundation, former President
- Norton Museum of Art, former Board Member
- Community Foundation of Palm Beach and Martin Counties, former Board Member
- Florida Commission on Human Relations, former Chair
- Legal Aid Society, former Board Member
- JFK Hospital, former Board Member
- Harvard Alumni Association, former Board Member