Commissioner Keith James was first elected to the West Palm Beach City Commission in 2011 and was reelected in 2013, 2015 and 2017. On the Commission, Keith James has prioritized our city budget, improving public safety, education issues, protection of West Palm Beach’s water supply and increasing transparency and citizen involvement.
Commissioner James is committed to public service, serving on numerous policy and community organizations.
Keith James currently serves on the following boards and organizations:
- Palm Beach County League of Cities, President
- Palm Beach Metropolitan Planning Organization, Member
- Palm Beach County Criminal Justice Commission, Member
- Grassy Waters Conservancy, Honorary Member
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
A resident since 1987, Keith has given back to our community’s legal, arts and culture, healthcare and education organizations.
- Florida Bar’s Grievance Committee for the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit
- Quantum Foundation, former Chair
- Paragon Foundation, former President
- Norton Museum of Art, former Board Member
- Community Foundation of Palm Beach and Martin Counties, former Board Member
- Florida Commission on Human Relations, former Chair
- Ethics Task Force, Mayoral Appointee and Chairman
- Legal Aid Society, former Board Member
- JFK Hospital, former Board Member
- Harvard Alumni Association, former Board Member
Professionally, through his law firm, Keith A. James, P.A., Keith represents small and medium sized businesses in the area of general corporate law, real estate law, and governmental law. Keith graduated from Harvard College in 1979 and Harvard Law School in 1982.
Keith is a frequent lecturer at professional seminars relating to the formation and organization of family limited partnerships and limited liability companies, purchase and sale of businesses, non-profit corporations, and preparation and negotiation of stock purchase and asset purchase agreements. In recent years, Keith has lectured at the Delray Academy for Non-Profits.
Keith was awarded the Price Waterhouse/South Florida Business Journal “Up and Comers” Award as well as the African American Achiever award by the J.M. Family Foundation.
Keith and his fiancée Lorna reside in West Palm Beach.